Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Holmes is dead. I gave m the tramadol and he is gone. He

Customer Question

Holmes is dead. I gave him the tramadol and he is gone. He still keeps twitching though and it's horrible. Is this what happens?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry. How are you doing today?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Holmes. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Slowly -- like moving through molassas -- I feel like there is a huge cotton ball between me and the world. I did go food shopping though so that's good and got a new collar and leash for Wallander so we can go on walks together. Holmes wasn't interested in that since he had 4 calcified discs in his back since he was young. I have photos of him up and look at them often. I miss touching him though and talking to him. I put the sun sculpture on the grave at my Mom's and today put pansies on the grave too. I'm going to rest now.Thanks for checking in. I think we did all we could. Maybe I should have taken him to the ER but I kept thinking that we could handle it and then get him to his vet in the AM. I would rather he died here -- as hard as it was -- with me alone than in a sterile ER environment. I also would have been a wreck to drive home and God knows what could have happened. I'm focusing on grieving and my other dog Wallander and my two kitties -- all rescues and staying open if a dog needs a home at some point in the future. Chrystle
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I don't think he wold have made it to the ER, and could have died on the way or at the clinic.

I knew someone who looked her Dachhund's picture every day for a year before she was ready to put it away. You will feel better, but it will take time. He must have been very special and very dear. Keep in touch; let me know how you are. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was very special and super smart. Often he would want to do something --- he was the boss in our house! -- and I wouldn't want to but then I would and you know what? He was right! So he was wise too. I read an article that explained why it's so hard part of it is that your dog witnesses your life. Most importantly he and Wallander were my raisin d'être -- my greatest joy was being his mama. It's going to take a long, long time to learn how to live with losing Holmes. Chrystle
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

My deepest and sincere condolences. Keep in touch.