Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Took my dog in last week blood work the puncture spot got

Customer Question

Took my dog in last week for some blood work the puncture spot got really big and swollen. Today pulled worm for that same spot
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. That's a very strange coincidence. The only "worm" - a larva, actually - that causes what you've seen is the larva of Cuterebra flies which lay their eggs near rabbit runs and rodent burrows. Hatched larvae crawl into the fur of a mammalian host, enter the host through a natural body opening and migrate to a subcutaneous site. Infestation appears as a solitary, 1-cm diameter nonpainful, subcutaneous swelling that fistulates (the larval breathing hole). The lesion is usually located on the head, neck, or trunk. The breathing hole should be gently enlarged and the larvae carefully extracted with forceps. There's only one larva. Daily routine wound care should be provided. If secondary bacterial infection is suspected, appropriate systemic antibiotics should be administered for 10-14 days. The prognosis is good but wounds tend to heal slowly.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.