Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I was cleaning my dogs ears and saw trace of blood on the

Customer Question

I was cleaning my dogs ears and saw trace of blood on the tissue
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Is the skin in the ear canal irritated?

2- What are you using to clean his ears?

3- Does he have evidence of infection like: A discharge, bad odor, etc.?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about King Midas. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it's infected and its not bleeding anymore,but he's still shaking his head the tips of his ears are irritated probably from him rubbing them
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about King Midas. It appears your first expert has left the conversation; can I be of help?

If he is shaking his head, there may be infection inside his ears, or he may have some plant material or even a tick down in the ear. When you look into his ears, you can only see about 1/3 of his ear canal; most of the ear canal and ear drum can only be seen with an otoscope. Having his ears checked completely with a scope is the first thing I would do if he were my own dog.

If the tips of his ears are irritated, you can apply some antibiotic ointment and/or cortisone ointment to the irritated areas.

Let me know how he is doing and if I can answer anything else. Rebecca