Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My 14 y.o. dachshund has been recently diagnosed with

Customer Question

My 14 y.o. dachshund has been recently diagnosed with gastritis. I've noticed bloating, abdominal tenderness, and lethargy. The Dr prescribed Cernia, Flagyl, and Reglan. He's been on the Cernia for the past 3 days with the latter two meds only prescribed today. He is now shaking, and seemingly uncomfortable. Should I take him back in?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your boy Otis that has just come through to me. It sounds like your boy's vet has undertaken a relatively thorough exam and a number of diagnostics on your boy. The range of meds he is on should potentially help stop him from feeling nauseous, and the Flagyl is an antibiotic in case there is a infectious GI issue here. Ultimately, if your boy is shaking and quite uncomfortable right now, this is a sign that there could well be something else going on here. I would recommend further diagnostics to investigate your boy's symptoms a little further such as an abdominal ultrasound and further blood tests. If he is really uncomfortable now, then yes - consider taking him back in now.

If he seems to have settled a little since you sent this message, then you could monitor him for the next couple of hours. In particular, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Because he is an older boy, it would definitely be better to play it safe and take him back in today if he continues to shake and appears uncomfortable. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Otis. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I thought I would check up quickly to see how your boy Otis is doing now? Did you take him back to the ER vet that evening?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E