Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog chewed up a container of Amdro ant killer,just found

Customer Question

My dog chewed up a container of Amdro ant killer,just found it so not sure when but sometime in the last 6 hrs. He's eaten about 2 cups of kibble since then and had water. He is a 53lb standard poodle 2 years old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Mr. Magoo may have ingested part of the contents of an Amdro ant killer container. Was this a bait trap filled with the product?

The active ingredient in these traps is Hydramethylnon, which is a trifluoromethyl aminohydrazone insecticide which is poorly absorbed orally by mammals, with greater than 95% being excreted unchanged in the stool.
Hydramethylnon appears to be quite safe in mammals. (Sine, 1987; Kidd, 1991) In a 26-week study in dogs, doses of up to 3.0 mg/kg/day resulted in increased liver weights and increased liver:body weight ratios. No other effects were observable in either the structure of tissues examined, the chemistry and consistency of the blood, or the chemistry of other bodily fluids. In dogs, 6 mg/kg/day caused decreased food consumption, decreased weight gain and caused testicular atrophy in a 90-day feeding study. (EPA, 1995).
The most common effects from ingesting this toxin are vomiting and gagging. It would only be necessary to induce vomiting if large amounts (greater than 0.5 ounces of bait/pound of body weight) were ingested.
Eating part of the contents of one ant trap would not be enough to make your fellow sick.
I would be more concerned that he ate the plastic trap which can be horribly sharp and lead to some nasty cuts and tears in the gastrointestinal tract.
If he did eat some plastic pieces to help I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take 1/2 of a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with the second 1/2 of the slice. Feed it to him bite sized piece by piece or he will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the plastic pieces slip rather than catch.
For the next few days, until the plastic passes, he'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the pieces are surrounded and the gut isn't irritated contracting on just sharp plastic.
A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber.
You'll need to check his stools frequently for pieces in the next few days.
Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.
If you aren't seeing fragments in the next 3 to 4 days a veterinary visit is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.
Once the pieces are passed and he's feeling well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.

But if he didn't eat any of the plastic then you don't need to do anything and he should be just fine.
Please let me know if you have any questions.