petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog ate a rawhide at the same time I was cooking spicy

Customer Question

My dog ate a rawhide at the same time I was cooking spicy food. About 5 minutes later she started reverse sneezing very bad. So, I thought it might be an allergy to the spice and brought her outdoors which seemed to help. She was up and down all night with episodes of deep breathing through her nose. I gave her benadryl in the morning but it has progressed to morw of a cough and an attempt to remove something from her throat, which would only be raw hide. I just gave her canned pumpkin and peanut butter around a few cottoballs but to no avail. Please help, I do not have the funds for an operation. Will it dissolve? Thank you.
Justin Valderrama
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Hopefully by now the signs have improved. I would suspect more that she is experiencing irritation or inflammation of the the pharynx or upper airways as a result of the reverse sneezing or maybe from swallowing the rawhide. If the rawhide was stuck or causing an obstruction, we would expect to see more of a gagging or vomiting. Rawhides, even when large pieces are swallowed, will usually soften up and eventually dissolve. I suspect the airways are more of what is involved and if so, with time the irritation should resolve. If she continues to cough however, I would have her examined by your vet to make sure that nothing else is going on.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z