Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog fell and injured s p and it is healed. He at the time

Customer Question

My dog fell and injured his hip and it is healed. He at the time started, to put too much wait on front leg causing pain & limps,, what to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Does he have a history of any liver or kidney problems? Does he have a sensitive stomach?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked the guestions at the top of this page and got cut off and could not give e-mail. I paid $5 by credit card for your advise. The question reads my dog fell and injured his hip & it is healed. He at he time started to put too much weight on front leg etc. my e-mail is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ..to send my answer back to me. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog fell and injured his hip and it is healed. He at the time, started to put too much wait on his front leg causing pain and limps now in that leg, It has not gotten better for a couple of weeks even though he rests the leg a lot. I give him 500 MG of Glucosamine, 50 MG of Chonroitin, & 10 MG MSN. He weights 130 lbs. He is a Rottweiler 8 years old. Please help me with his problem?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for your wait. My moderator has asked that I take a look at your question. It's important to note that glucosamine/chondroiton products haven't fared well in long-term studies of osteoarthritic people. The best I can say is that what you've been administering won't be harmful. For Tollo, I would recommend a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as the prescription carprofen or meloxicam as long as there isn't a pre-existing medical condition that would preclude the use of a NSAID - liver failure or marginally functional kidneys. Adding fish oil at a dose of 20 mg/lb daily of the EPA in your fish oil product should syngergize with the glucosamine/chondroiton and NSAID to provide even better antiinflammatory analgesia. If you still didn't see a positive response to therapy, his front leg should be carefully palpated and X-rayed to see if more than overuse due to his hip injury is present - for example structural damage to his rotator cuff in his shoulder or even neoplasia (cancer).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.