jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

How do i get my dog to bark so i know she has to go potty

Customer Question

how do i get my dog to bark so i know she has to go potty outside
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Personally I don't like a dog to bark but I can see how some might. The first step toward teaching a dog to bark to go out is to teach your dog the speak command. The following site goes over how to teach a dog to speak on command.

http://www.dogskool.com/web/news/summer2002/page3.html

Once Peanut has learned the speak command, then each time you take her out, ask her to do the speak command but do not reward her with a treat, reward her with going out. She will start associating the barking with you letting her out and bark to go out.

Now what I do is hang a bell from a string on the door low enough for the dog to reach and ring that each time I take the dog out. Eventually the dog hits the bell either on purpose or accidentally and you will need to immediately get up and take her out. If she did it accidentally, she will start to make the connection and the next time she will do it on purpose. It is important that you respond immediately regardless of which signal you decide for her. If you don't she won't make the connection and continue to use the signal.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanut. How is everything going?
jadedangel57