Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My small breed dog has been protecting s back left leg. I

Customer Question

My small breed dog has been protecting his back left leg. I took him to a vet that did xrays and gave him Previcox to take for 14 days. it worked and after 10 days I stopped giving it to him. Only 24 hrs later did he start walking on 3 legs again.
This vet said he could have a damaged nerve or some condition found in young dogs. Any thoughts or info or recommendation you could share. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Baby. I am Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

What part of his leg did your veterinarian tell you was injured, or wasn't he sure? Getting a diagnosis of the exact problem is the best way to know how to treat.

The things we see in hind legs of young dogs are panosteitis (usually large breed dogs, very painful but goes away after a few weeks or so), and abnormalities of bone formation like OCD lesions in the hip or knee (also do not get better with time), or injuries like pinched nerves, sprains, tendon or ligament injuries (usually get better with time, but can take months). I assume there are no broken bones since Xrays were taken. One thing we see in small breed dogs is "aseptic necrosis of the femoral head" where the top of the thigh bone, where is connects to the hip, loses its blood supply and that part of the bone dies and is very painful. It can be hard to see on Xrays. The treatment for this condition is surgery; it does not get better with time.

It might be worth it to send the Xrays to a specialist for a second opinion.

Any chance you could get the Xrays, and post them here or on the Internet, and send the link to me?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Baby doing? Rebecca