brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My black lab is Honey. She has a pimple like rash on her

Customer Question

My name is***** black lab is Honey. She has a pimple like rash on her face that is spreading. Last year (she is 1.5 yrs. old), she had it on her belly. The vet thought she was allergic to something in the grass as she crawled on her belly in grass alot. I always walk Honey on leash and she is not in direct contact with other animals. I called mt vet and they said to give her benedryl. I have done this but the rash has spread fast and though it looks like her belly "pimples" I am too broke $ to take her to the emergency vet today. I am very apprehensive as my pets are very, very much my family. Does this sound like an allergic reaction to you?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

What you describe does not sound like an emergency. The pimples you describe are consistent with a bacterial skin infection or pyoderma. This does not require immediate treatment, but she will need to be seen at your regular vet on Monday.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

She will need oral antibiotics or an injection of antibiotic from your vet to clear this up. In the meantime, is she itching or chewing at herself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honey is not chewing or itching it but she is quite lethargic and her tail is down. She clearly is not feeling well. I have used the same vet for over a decade and they did not call it bacterial. I live on one income and do not have the $85.00 for a Monday visit. Are you saying that you think it is bacterial rather than allergic reaction to something in grass?
I am wondering if some type of home remedy may help her as Monday is several hours away and I do not want to give her benedryl every 8 hours as my vet said to do if it is bacterial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have amoxicillin from several months ago that was given by the vet for my other dog
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

The pustules are not caused by allergy alone - I suspect that she has an underlying allergy. The allergy can cause inflammation of her skin, and any scratching or itching also breaks down the outer layer of the skin. This allows bacteria to get into the skin and cause a superficial infection. Basically, I think she has an allergy which led to the infection.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I think it would be a good idea to continue the Benadryl for her comfort. I am concerned about the lethargy. If you see any vomiting, diarrhea or difficulty breathing, that would warrant a visit to the emergency hospital today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree, so I have been watching her breathing carefully. I am heartbroken because she is a very sweet girl and can not wait for her walks. This morning she shortened the walk and she did so last night too. I am nervous about the fact that her nose is now swelling a bit at the base of it. Clearly what started as a few bumps 4 days ago has spread quickly and now covers her right cheek.
I am more than grateful for your input. Thank you. I am more than worried as I live 45 mins. from the emergency vet. As I mentioned, she had this same type of outbreak on her belly last year around this same time. They start like a red bump and within a few days turn into pimples and a day later break and ooze. They are small, not large. What kind of bacteria could cause this. My home is clean and Honey is not outside without me.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

This type of infection is typically caused by the bacteria that normally live on the skin (staphylococcus). There is always a population of bacteria and yeast, but as long as your skin is healthy, your natural defenses prevent any problems. When there is a breakdown in those defenses (which can happen with allergies), that bacteria can begin to cause problems. If the swelling does not respond to Benadryl, she may need to be treated with steroids.