Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Our puppy is a 2 month old boxer. he ate a treat by

Customer Question

Our puppy is a 2 month old boxer. he ate a treat by accident. He ate treats that are age appropriate for our 14 month old Boxer, not his age.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Banjo. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. What are the ingredients in the treat that he ate?

2. How much bigger is it than he would normally be given?

3. How long ago did he eat it?

4. How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** responding. I certainly understand why you need additional information. Unfortunately I don't have the answers to those questions. The problem is the dog is not my dog. I was trying to help my daughter. It is her dog, and she lives over 1200 miles away from me. We were talking on the phone together about her new puppy and I was just googling, trying to help her. But she is not available to talk to again to ask those questions. She just got her puppy last night, so she probably doesn't actually know how much he weighs right now anyway. But thanks anyway.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for the long distance nature of where you are and where the pup in question is located.

However, in most cases such as this, regardless of the ingredients of the treat, ingestion of a larger than recommended amount is not going to cause any issues for the patient.

Depending on the ingredient list, diarrhea might be seen within 12-24 hours with vomiting also a possibility although not a strong one.

If looser stools do develop, a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice should resolve the problem.

More than likely, your daughter's puppy is going to be just fine. I hope this helps to reassure you both at least in some small measure. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Susie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Banjo. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb