Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Our 1 1/2 yo dog is whimpering occasionally when we touch

Customer Question

Our 1 1/2 yo dog is whimpering occasionally when we touch her back legs up by her belly. She still walks fine, even for lengthy walks at night, and I am able to lift her into the car without any reaction from her. Since she was a puppy she has dragged her front feet to the point where she has scabs and calluses on the tops of her paws and has worn down her 2nd and 3rd toenails. Could this be a back issue?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your dog. I am Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I have just come online and am seeing your question; I am sorry you have not had help from an expert until now.

Do you still need help with her?

This may be a back or a neck issue. Dragging the feet to the point of injuring the tops of her paws and wearing down her nails indicates some kind of neurologic problem, where the nerve message from brain to spinal cord to foot and back again, is being interrupted or is abnormal. What have you tried so far? What did your veterinarian tell you?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?