Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is pacing and walking very slowly and won't sit or

Customer Question

My dog is pacing and walking very slowly and won't sit or lie down. He has lymphoma and we have decided with his guidance to put him down on Monday. We have already gone through treatment and he has lived 16 months after first diagnosis. Can I put a sheet under him to lift him on our bed to lay down? He can't jump. Definitely something with back end. Perhaps lymph nodes that hurt? Our cancer vet just left town for 2 weeks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet guys condition...I know this is very hard but he obviously put up a great fight.

I would hesitate to have you put your guy on the bed because he is obviously uncomfortable and he will continue to try to pace and may fall off the bed. It is better to fix a bed next to your bed for him or even lay on the floor with him to keep hi calm. If your vet has given you any pain meds and/or anti inflammatory medications, use these to attempt to calm him down. He does not know what is happening to him and is frightened. Do you have any medications to help your sweet guy?

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does and I agree. I am just wondering what I can do to get him in a sitting or lying position. Is there any way to maneuver him physically to gently force him to lay down. Will he eventually get tired from standing? We have prednisone. Can he get Advil or Tylenol or anything like that?

Unfortunately, you cannot give aspirin, which is the only safe over the counter mediation for dogs...never use ADvil or Tylenol...with Prednisone. IT appears that he is in a great deal of distress and without some pain medications such as Tramadol, he will continue to pace. I would consider having an ER vet help with some stronger pain meds...call around to see if there is one available or a mobile vet....All you can do is the best you can for your sweet guy!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wondering about physically helping him sit or lie Down. Suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are pets able to stand for hours! Clearly it is painful for him to sit but if he could just lie on his side. This is so hard to watch!

You can try to help him lie down but if he is really uncomfortable, he may get right back up. They can stand for long periods of time unllike us....just do the best you can to help him relax.