Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is vomitting. Does he need to go to urgent care vets

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B,a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is Barkley?

How long has he been showing signs?

What is Barkley bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Is he up to date on vaccinations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is 15 weeks. Thrown up 4 times in which the vomit contained his kibble. The last two times it was white foam. He had done water but it came up about an hour later as the foam. Has had his injections, last set were on Monday. He is asleep and a little lethargic but it's hard to tell as it's late at night and he would normally be sleeping. His mouth feels a little dry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No diarrhea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't think he has eaten anything out of the ordinary. The onky thing I can think of is some grass and earth when digging at the park
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what guma should normally look like. I can send a picture
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

You can post a photo if you wish, just either use the paperclip icon above your text box or you can post it anywhere and then paste the link here for me to follow.

Now I will just need a few minutes to start typing all my thoughts about your lad, so don't worry that I have popped away or anything like that.

Speak to you soon,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

First, if Barkley is that young, we do want to tread with care. Young dogs are very delicate and can become dehydratied and experience low blood sugar secondary to profuse vomiting. In any case, based on his sudden signs, we do have a significant upper GI upset. Now these signs can be triggered by a range of culprits at his age. Common causes include viral or bacterial gastroenteritis, parasites, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion (if he ate a lot of dirt when digging), sensitive stomachs, toxins and foreign bodies.

Now as long as you are sure that he couldn't have gotten into anything harmful (toxic or non-edible), we can try to settle his stomach at this stage. Of course, I do have to warn you that if he is struggling to keep water down, then that can be a sign that we will need injectable treatment from his vet to bypass his mouth/stomach and get him settled. Still, if you wanted to try and soothe his stomach, there are some options you can use.

To start, if he has just vomited, then we'd want to rest his stomach for a few hours. Water can be offered but just in small sips or as ice cubes since over drinking will also trigger vomiting. At this time, if he seems weak at all, you can try to boost his blood sugar by rubbing a high sugar solution (ie Karo syrup, honey, pancake syrup, etc) on his gums. Once he is more settled, you can then try him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

*Zantac (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac

We tend to want to use these 20 minutes before offering food to allow it to take effect. And of course, if he is has any know health issues or is on any other medications that you haven't noted, you'd want to check with his vet before using these.

Once that has had time to absorb, you can consider tempting him with a light/easily digestible diet. If you do so, start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give him 30 minutes to settle. If he keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As his tummy stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as he is settling, we can continue the diet until he is 100% and then slowly wean him back to his usual foods.

Just to note, since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check his hydration status, there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist (a bit of a concern from your photo), and whether he has a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have him seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for him. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level, depresses them, and makes them feel ill).

Overall, if he is vomitng profusely, then we need to tread with care. It would be ideal to have him seen, as those gums do look to be showing early stage dehydration already. That said, if he can at least keep water down for a wee bit, then you could choose to use the above to at least try to soothe his stomach and halt that vomiting. Of course, if he didn't settle, then injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics from his vet would be indicated to help get Barkley feeling like himself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. In going to take him to the vets to be sure
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

With his being so young, erring on the side of caution is always ideal. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Donna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Barkley. How is everything going?
nekovet