Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog just had surgery and her back legs have become so

Customer Question

My dog just had surgery for Wobblers and her back legs have become so weak she is having difficulty standing. Her tail wags but she stands like a rabbit and cannot stand. She was better right after surgery 2 weeks ago. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's best that you consult with Molly's surgeon as that specialist knows best what was found in Molly's spinal column during surgical intervention. In general, surgical treatment for wobblers leads to improvement in ~80% of patients. Deterioration may occur but it's usually delayed - often 3 years after diagnosis. It doesn't sound as if Molly suffered from classical wobblers, however, but instead a traumatic cervical disk. I'm puzzled by the consideration of polymyositis when there was a history of injury.

Which medications are currently being administered to Molly? Potent antiinflammatory drugs would be indicated at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr, Salkin, UCDavus did a muscle biopsy but the neurosurgeon said he expected to we higher enzymes in her blood. She is on Tramadol and 10mg. Prednisone. She seems to be in less pain she can't get the back legs to hold her up. Thanks for your answer, I certainly appreciate it.

Thank you for the update. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.