Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has bumps/ves on lower back and at base of tail and

Customer Question

My dog has bumps/hives on lower back and at base of tail and also discoloration on stomach. She doesn't act sick or weird. I just want to know she's okay
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long has Izzy had these skin changes?

Are they itchy for her?

Are there any scabs, pimples, or pustules present in this region?

When was she last treated for fleas? What did you use?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr,Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her hives/bumps on her lower back aren't as defined today. But the discoloration is still there and she hasn't been medicated for fleas in a while probably a year. And no scab or pimples in the area but she does have pimples on her snout. She also does tend to scratch her lower back-tail- and sides
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that the hives you were seeing are settling. This would suggest a possible allergen triggered her signs and that immune/allergy reaction is now waning. Still, if she does tend to scratch that area, then we may have a chronic low grade allergy present here. In regards ***** ***** discoloration, she does look a bit pink in your photos but that darker/black type spotting we can see is hyperpigmentation. The pinkness should settle as irritation passes. For the hyperpigmentation, that can fade with time but can also be permanent. It is nothing to worry about, but rather just a side effect of the skin being irritated (its similar to the way we tan when the sun "irritates" our skin). As well, just to note, the pimples are a sign of bacterial infection (often secondary to the allergic inflammation).

With all this in mind, it is again positive if she is starting to settle. To just further that, I'd note that we often treat mild dog skin allergies with antihistamines. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to clear that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** pimples you are seeing on her snout, our approach depends on how many are present. If we just have a few, then topical care (ie salt water bathing + OTC antibiotic cream) may be enough. But if there are quite a few, then we'd want to consider a check with her vet as antibiotics may be necessary to clear these.

Overall, it sounds like we have had a recent allergic skin reaction with Izzy. Still, her hyperpigmentation, pimples, and usual scratching does raise suspicions of a longer term low grade issue. If she hasn't been medicated for fleas, I would note that it is worth doing since they can trigger these kinds of reactions with just one bite (and it is an economical way to rule them out) but otherwise we can use the above to help her fully settle.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )