jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My daughter has a yorkipoo and she will not pee on the

Customer Question

My daughter has a yorkipoo and she will not pee on the puppypads,she pees beside them.It's getting very frustrating for her.Any suggestions for this problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

There are a few things she can do for this problem. If the dog is going next to the pad in such a way that her front might be on the pad and her back hanging off, she can put a very low fence around the pad or place the pad in a pan that forces the dog to move further in to eliminate. If she isn't that close to the pad, then she will need to rehouse train Dixie. The fastest way is to pick an enclosed area for Dixie to stay in and paper the whole area. Over a few weeks, she graually reduces the number of pads down to one pad in the place she wants to leave it. This usually teaches a dog to eliminate on the pads. Often owners will make an area just big enough for one pad and a place for the dog to lay down in. Once the dog is always going on the pad, they expand the area a bit and add toys to the "clean" area. If Dixie continues to go where it is appropriate, then the space can be expanded until she has roaming privileges over the whole home again.

Another option that often works is a sod patch. This is something I developed for my customers that works great and hasn't failed yet for my clients.

You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, dogs will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform. This might be perfect for Dixie.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.