Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My boxer has welts all over s legs and chest and has a

Customer Question

My boxer has welts all over his legs and chest and has a swollen eye. Should I give him some benedryl?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Tyson has these welts!

Yes I would advise

- Benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours x 24 hours which might cause mild sedation but should help with the welts within an hour. If not then I would advise a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and whether steroids are warranted
- A cool water bath with an oatmeal-based dog shampoo every 12 hours until they subside, very likely tonight and again in the morning with ten minute contact time before rinsing

The combination of the benadryl and the shampoo should help with the welts if they are a reaction to something he got bit by or ingested. But if there is no change overnight I would advise a veterinary exam by morning. If he is terribly itchy and uncomfortable and not improving it might indicate he should be seen tonight by a veterinary er

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!