Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog keeps biting at an area from tail to middle of s

Customer Question

Hi my dog keeps biting at an area from tail to middle of his back . It looks like mange can you help please
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

That would be an unusual place for mange to appear and cause Sam's biting. A flea saliva allergy is the most common cause of the saddle area - the area between the edge of his rib cage and tail - to be excoriated by him. Sam's vet can prescribe an antihistaminic corticosteroid such as prednisone which should work like magic. I recommend your applying an over the counter spot-on such as Frontline or Advantage or a newer prescription product available from Sam's vet.

Can you upload a photo of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?