Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Loretta, My golden doodle puppy at new tampons with the

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Loretta, My golden doodle puppy at new tampons with the plastic applicators 4 days ago. She is acting normally. She is eating and drinking but has had diarrhea for last 2 days and pretty bad last night. She stopped at about 4 this morning and is eating and drinking normally but no poop yet today. She is not vomitting or acting strange. My vet said to just watch for lethargy, straining or vomitting. She weigh 30 lbs. Anything I can do? When will it be long enough to know she's ok. I have only seen mucous stuff in her poop. No tampons or applicators. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question. I'm sorry Dr. Loretta is not currently online. Would it be alright for you to continue with me?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Also, your reply will allow me to know that we are properly connected and that you understand how this website works (including that I must earn your positive rating in order to receive any compensation for my time), please type in a short reply.

You may rest assured you will receive a complete, honest, accurate, and up-to-date answer when I receive your reply.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are no longer online and available to discuss your question. I'm sorry I missed the chance to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available to other experts when you return online.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that you haven't received a response to your question and that Dr. Loretta hasn't been available to address it. I'm sorry about the delay but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I'm glad that Kita's diarrhea issues appear to have diminished, at least for now. It's also a very good thing that she's not vomiting nor acting unusual in any way...which is understandable if she's still a puppy.

It may help you to know that puppies ingest these sorts of things all the time and the largest percentage of them pass with no significant consequences but I'm assuming this is something which your vet has already told you.

The loose stools that she experienced may, indeed, be related to the tampons and applicators that she ingested since they may be causing irritation as they're moving through her intestines. It's also possible that they aren't related at all since it sounds as if she may have a habit of ingesting inappropriate things.

If the tampons remain in her stomach for a while (which is always possible when it comes to foreign objects of this sort), then she may not be out of the woods for several more days or even up to a week. Just to give you an example of what I mean: my puppy ate a sponge and yet I didn't see it in her stool until 2 weeks later. I'm assuming that it sat in her stomach for a while, not causing her any issues (thank goodness!) until it moved into her small intestines, her colon and then was expelled in her feces. So, this is always a possible scenario for Kita as well.

My suggestions as to what you can do for her are as follows:

1. Feed a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice rather than her regular kibble. This diet may help to quiet intestinal irritation.

2. Start her on a good daily canine probiotic such as Forti Flora which is a powder sprinkled on the food. It's often available at pet or grain stores or online.

3. I probably wouldn't give her any over the counter Pepto Bismol at this point; I'd want to see if her stools return to normal without benefit of drugs.

4. I also wouldn't add more fiber to her diet since to do so might trigger more diarrhea.

I wouldn't worry about no stool production since she probably cleaned out her intestines with all the diarrhea she had. It will take time for feces to reform in the colon.

At this point, I would continue to monitor her stools for evidence of the offending objects as well as monitor for vomiting, lethargy, anorexia and abdominal pain. Dogs with obstructions typically have other signs such as these, not just loose stools.

I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply. Deb