Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My Spitz / Pom mix has CHF and Lymphoma. She is on Vetmedin,

Customer Question

My Spitz / Pom mix has CHF and Lymphoma. She is on Vetmedin, Zantac, Prednisolone (10mg every second day), Leukeran (8mg every two weeks) and Frusimide 20 mg twice daily. One vet says that if I give her Enapril she won't need the diuretic and the other says she will always need the diuretic. She isn't enjoying the diuretic so I am wondering about Enapril?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this is a tricky situation for your lass. This is because Enalapril could help heart function to the point that she doesn't leak fluid from her circulation (into her lungs, chest, or abdomen) and therefore does not need her diuretic. That said, what makes it tricky is that we cannot predict whether it will for sure. Therefore, if you wanted to consider this drug, then we'd need to have her on both initially and then assess the Enalapril's effect. If the fluid issues settle, then she can be weaned down and potentially off the diuretic. But if we find it doesn't make a difference (or enough of one), then she'd need to stay on the diuretic and either continue to stop the Enalapril.

Overall, it is possible this could make the difference for her and translate to not needing her diuretic. Still, the only way to know if that would be the case for her particular situation, would be a trial on the Enalapril to see if she responds well to it.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )