Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a goldendoodle that is 5 y/0. She has suffered

Customer Question

I have a goldendoodle that is 5 y/0. She has suffered w/yeast in her ears since I got her. I have spend enormous amounts of money taking her to the vet only to have her put on Prednisone and an antibiotic. My visits run over $200 every time and she is never cleared up.I was reading on the internet where a women used a Monistat suppository in her dog's ear and it cleared it up. What I would like to know, if this would do any damage to my dog. I did not think it would since women use them all the time for yeast infections. I an unable to enjoy my dog as her odor is terrible and she is miserable also because she scratches her ear constantly and it gets red and inflamed. To b quiet honest, I can no longer afford these enormous vet bills. Would it be ok to try this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Molly. Neither antibiotics nor prednisone are indicated when addressing yeast (Malassezia). Ear ointments containing miconazole or clotrimazole (or Monistat which contains miconazole) are prescribed. I would thoroughly irrigate Molly's ear with an over the counter ear cleanser as per the label's instruction and then instill a liberal amount of an over the counter cream containing any of the -azoles mentioned above twice daily for 2-4 weeks. You'll find these in the "athlete's foot" area of your local pharmacy. If you didn't see an appreciable improvement, there's likely to be a bacterial infection in Molly's ear as well. In that case, you can see how an over the counter triple antibiotic ointment such as Polysporin or Neosporin affects the ear when a liberal amount of the ointment is instilled twice daily for the same length of time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.