Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We have an 8 year old black lab that has been diagnosed with

Customer Question

We have an 8 year old black lab that has been diagnosed with kidney failure. She has lost 20 pounds. She seems happy and lively but obviously not in good shape. We are having trouble stimulating her appetite. She seems to want nothing but hot dogs and is surviving on 2 or 3 hot dogs a day right now. Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This isn't an uncommon issue with kidney disease. Often we see appetite loss and underlying nausea secondary to the build up of kidney toxins in the blood and secondary uremic gastritis. Therefore, in a situation like this, we do have some steps we can take to try to reduce stomach upset and get her eating for us.

To start, you can try your lass on an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Alternatively, her nausea is too severe for these, then we'd want to speak to her vet about dispensing a strong anti-nausea/vomiting medication like maropitant (Cerenia), metoclopramide (Reglan), or ondansetron (Zofran). Your vet can provide this via injection or orally if need be.

As well, if necessary, the vet can dispense appetite stimulation medication (ie Mertazipine) to give her a wee push to eat for us as she should.

Finally, just since the appetite loss tends to be a side effect of elevating kidney toxins, you may want to speak to her vet about further care for her kidney health. There are medications that can help her, but she may also benefit from routine subcutaneous fluids. These are fluids you would give under the skin to keep her hydrated and give her body more fluid to help filter out toxins despite those poorly functioning kidneys. You can read more about this. HERE.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )