Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What is the appropriate dosage (Keppra XR) tablets 85lb

Customer Question

What is the appropriate dosage for Levetiracetam (Keppra XR) tablets for an 85lb Husky with Epilepsy. He is currently on Bromide and Phenobarbital but no longer working well so looking to eventually stop the Phenobarbital (it's not working and terrible side effects). My research says the Levetiracetam (Keppra XR) comes in 500 and 750 mg tablets and can be given every 12 hrs. so how many mg each 12 hrs. for my 85lb Husky.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I would note that Keppra does come in 250mg tablets for dogs as well. So, that is always an option if need be. Though in regards ***** ***** question, this drug has a dosing range and therefore we can modify a dose to meet their requirement but allow for easy dosing. So for example, in an 85lb dog, we'd tend to start with 500mg every 8-12 hours. If we found that wasn't effective, then we could raise the dose from there as needed to achieve the level of control we need.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll ne happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Levetiracetam (Keppra XR) only comes in 500 and 750mg not 250mg and other doses. Your answer was referring to the non-XR original Keppra. My research says the XR is more appropriate for dogs as it is given every 12hrs not 8hrs; but I can't find info on the amount to be given every 12 hrs to an 85lb dog. Thanks,
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

My apologies, we actually use the non-XR more often in dogs. In any case, if one were using the XR, it'd be a double dose of what I noted before though some dogs can even just have it every 24 hours.

Dr. B.