Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

When we got home today my sister dog has peed 5 times and

Customer Question

When we got home today my sister dog has peed 5 times and this is not normal. She even peed in her rate.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What does her urine look like?

Any blood or mucus?

Has she been licking her genitals more often?

Any discomfort in her belly between her back legs?

Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dog is spayed and from what i see she has no blood or mucus. She is able to walk but I see her mostly lying down on the floor.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on Steffi's signs, we'd be most concerned about a bladder or urinary tract infection (UTI). This is very common in young female dogs, and is often due to the bladder being invaded by E.coli. This bacteria is often part of the normal gut flora that gains access to the bladder by fecal contamination of the female genitalia. Other potential common issues that we'd also have to consider would be urinary crystal issues, bladder stones, or bladder tumors (less likely though with her age).

Now if you have ever had cystitis, you will know that it is not a pleasant infection to have. We often see affected animals straining to urinate frequently while only producing small amounts of urine. We can also see urinary accidents as you have. This is because the infection causes irritation and inflammation of the bladder and this irritation makes the bladder feel tense and sore.

To give some relief at the moment, it would be wise to get her to drink more if possible. Or perhaps offer wet food, as this is 35% water and will sneak some water into her system. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable.

Still while urine dilution will help flush out bacteria, it often won't clear the infection on its own. Therefore, I would advise that is prudent for her to see her vet. If possible, we'd want to collect a urine sample (though this can be a challenge since she is only producing small volumes). The vet will be able to analyse the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals, glucose (a marker of diabetes) or other abnormalities. If infection is found, the vet will also be able to prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic and pain relief to make her comfortable and clear the infection.
Overall, these signs are most suspicious with a bladder infection. While not an emergency situation, it is an urgent one due to the discomfort she will be feeling with this. Therefore, if possible, we'd want her to be seen once her regular vet is open, though any delay and we'd want to use the above to at least reduce her discomfort until she can be seen.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sister and I live together and each one has a dog. My dog is a male wanted to know if this is contagious. Do they need to be apart as they do play together and each one has their own crate
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

No worries there. None of what we have discussed is directly communicable, so he doesn't need to be isolated from her. Of course, if she is feeling poorly or sore, we may want him to give her some space so she doesn't get grumpy at him.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. thanks I feel much better
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Maribel,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Steffi. How is everything going?
nekovet