Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My dog has been diagnosed with copd and tonight is having a

Customer Question

my dog has been diagnosed with copd and tonight is having a very hard time breathing what can i do for her to ease her discomfort till i get her to the vet in the morning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** I am very sorry to hear that Tia is having a rough time tonight. Is she coughing? Do you have any cough suppressants such as Cough Tabs or Tussigon? Those can help ease a cough if that is keeping her awake. Another thing to try is a steam-treatment. This treatment involves running your shower on maximum hotness so that the bathroom becomes very steamy. Take Tia into the bathroom to breathe this very moist air. If you have a nebulizer at home, you can use this with saline or distilled water as well. Lastly, if you have any pain medication such as tramadol, this can help her to sleep better.

I am so sorry she is suffering tonight. I hope she feels better by morning.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you. If it does, please consider rating it.

Amanda Mouradian, DVM

Kansas State University, College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has no cough, i did take her in the bathroom and turned the hot water on and we sat in there for about 5 mins.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the update. Try more time with the steam and see if that helps.

On the opposite side, some dogs can become overheated, especially the short-nosed dogs. You may also try aiming a fan at her bed to help her cool off.

Dr. M

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tia. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Hi, How is Tia doing? Is she feeling better? How is her breathing? Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda