Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 11# daschand ate about 1/3 of a peeled lime What should I

Customer Question

My 11# ***** ate about 1/3 of a peeled lime
What should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Good news! : Lime is not toxic to dogs in any way so no need to consider an immediate vet's visit or anything like that. The chances are he will get away with this and not suffer any adverse symptoms, but some dogs might experience a minor transient bout of vomiting and or diarrhoea just because of the sudden intake of an unusual food source, many dogs have quite weak stomachs you see.

2. I think the best course of action would be to just observe him for present and perhaps give him some milk to help settle his stomach from any acidity. Some owners would consider inducing vomiting to recover the lime but on balance this is probably not necessary as inducing vomiting could cause just as much or more discomfort than swallowing the lime.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Drinking milk

Hello again ,

I think things should be OK but I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your Dachshund's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Dachshund is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the lime...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.