Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has congestive heart failure and fluid around the

Customer Question

Hi My dog has congestive heart failure and fluid around the longs. He has had an xray and it was determined he had an enlarged heart. The vet is recommending an echo gram and blood work. I am leery of getting it to only get the same information I already know. Your thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, xrays are great and often tell us all that we need to know. But, when it comes to evaluating the heart they can't tell us much as far what is the actual cause for the heart being enlarged. You see, the heart could be enlarged either from: Hypertrophy as a result of the muscle being sick or the valves not closing properly, there could also be heart base tumors, etc. So, it is very important to find out exactly why is the heart enlarged to accurately treat the patient. The echocardiogram will study up close the heart to determine the exact underlying cause. The other aspect is making certain there is nothing else going on systemically like his kidneys or liver. For this reason I would strongly recommend doing both, the blood work and echocardiogram. These test will greatly help your vet to treat your dog.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!