Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 9 year large breed (Staffy) in the past 12 months

Customer Question

my 9 year large breed (Staffy) in the past 12 months developed this ball (mass), at that time my vet told me unless he is in pain, irritable etc., leave it alone. now its getting bigger and spewing liquids, and will bleed because he licks it after I give him antibiotic ointment from the vet. my question - is if we perform a castration, are his chances of surviving this surgery- he is in excellent health throughout. I really need a second opinion. Thank you so much sir.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please tell me where this "ball (mass)" is located. In general, once a mass ulcerates and bleeds as you've described, conservative therapy fails. Surgical resection is needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My original question was at age 9, castration (mass is on and next to testicles) surgery was recommended by my vet and thus is it safe for surgery to do at his age 9???

Thank you for the additional information. His age doesn't preclude surgery. His health as determined by a thorough physical exam including pre-operative blood work will tell you how good of a candidate he is for anesthesia. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. My vet concerns are: will there be enough skin to close after testicles, mass is removed, and how he handles the bleeding. Precaution statements for sure but my concern also is.. - is vet experienced in this type of surgery??

These are questions I'm ill-equipped to answer. Directly asking Buddy's vet if he/she believes that a specialist veterinary surgeon (please see here: www.acvs.org) would be a better choice isn't unreasonable. In general, castration and scrotal ablation is a relatively simple surgery. Hemostasis and wound closure is straightforward. Can you upload a photo of this area to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. When I return home and take pic.
Thanks

Sounds good. I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here they are: looks bad but he is still in excellent condition. We feel this is a bad germ he got at overnight boarding place the day we picked him we noticed a bad red spot, then in time it grew.

Thank you! That represents a tumor rather than a "bad germ". It's more extensive than I had initially visualized and good hemostasis (control of bleeding) will be needed. Be sure to have it biopsied once it's removed so you'll know what to expect in the future. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay.
Thanks..so do you believe my DVM should be able to handle this -typically?

In most instances, yes, but don't hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I will ask.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did ask.
They said they will handle it!
So next week is surgery.

Good to hear!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surgery went real good. He was up normal next day. Everything was taken out. Testicals and 2 large & 5 small masses. They don't believe its cancer. Will see biopsy. Thanks for your suppot, confidence, and concerned!

Thank you for the good update! I'll be away from my computer through Sunday if you need to continue consulting with me.