Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 18 month old lab beagle mix has been seizing since June

Customer Question

Our 18 month old lab beagle mix has been seizing since June 6, nearly daily. We have tried PB and Keppra. The vets, including a canine neurologist, keep saying to give the meds time to work, but they aren't around to see our baby charging into a wall, howling in pain, and wandering, blind and deaf after the terrible seizures. It is killing us to see her like this, and we just don't know what to do. How do we know when we've tried long enough to solve this problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, the final kindness is performed when standard therapies for refractory seizures has failed. When was the last time you consulted with her neurologist? It would be egregiously inappropriate for a neurologist not to alter dosages and/or drugs when my patient continues to seize daily for what is now over 3 months. Please tell me the current dosages of her phenobarbital and levetiracetam (Keppra).