Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog lick her paws and from legs.

Customer Question

my dog lick her paws and from legs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Goldie. I'm so sorry she's having this problem, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need.

This is actually a fairly complicated topic and I'd like to discuss it with you. So I may know you are online and we are properly connected, and that you understand how the website works, I'll await a short reply from you before beginning. Please rest assured you will receive a complete, honest, and accurate answer once we begin our conversation. My goal is to earn your positive rating; without that I receive no compensation and the website keeps your entire deposit.

Just type in what you want to say, then click REPLY or SEND.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goldie licks her from paws and legs, the only other thing I see is there is a brown stuff between her inner hind legs. I kept her in the house. she is only outside to use the bathroom. What cause the constant licking.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for replying. (typing more...)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

The most common things to cause this kind of licking are the following:

• allergies (to inhaled things-like hayfever in people, foods, or things she comes into contact with)
  • mites
  • fleas
  • bacterial skin infections
  • fungal skin infections

It's important to note that all of these things can be interrelated, and can occur at the same time. Unless you identify all of the factors that are present in her case and treat them accordingly, she won't get better.

Additionally, if this is due to allergies (which is very, very common), it's important to understand that while medication will make her better, she'll never be *cured*. She'll always start licking whenever she's around whatever she's allergic to unless she's on medication.

Rest assured there are a lot of different things a veterinarian can do to:

1. Identify the exact nature of your dog's problem
  2. Treat it so Goldie can be comfortable and have normal looking skin.

I can provide you with links to several articles on the topic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please link me with the articles on this topic, I will check it out.
what type of medication do you recommend?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

That's the thing... you don't know what kind of medication will help Goldie until you know what's causing her itch. All of these different things have different treatments.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Also, most of these problems require prescription medications for successful treatment. The types of medications are described in the articles above.

That means the quickest and cheapest way to get Goldie the relief she needs is to have her seen by a veterinarian. They'll be able to do the necessary diagnostic tests to determine what's causing her to lick and then prescribe the appropriate treatment. Oftentimes, there is some degree of trial and error involved, but rest assured help is available.

Does this help to answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will check into this sites, If I don't see what cause this I will take her to vet.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. I'm happy to do what I can to help.

Please do take a moment to rate my response on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Best of luck to you and Goldie! I'm glad you're looking into what it will take to stop the licking.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

And remember... you can always return to this page later to review this information, even after you've rated my response.

Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with Goldie. Have you had a chance to read the articles I included links for? Please let me know if you have any additional questions after reviewing this information.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just asking how things are going with Goldie. How is she doing?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just one final check to ask how things are going with Goldie. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo