Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I just noticed a patch of hard hair on my dog. When moving

Customer Question

I just noticed a patch of hard hair on my dog. When moving the hair I notice a lot of puss. It's on her back. What should I do until I can get in to see a vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Is Bree acting normally otherwise? Where on her body is this spot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's been standoffish and doesn't want me near the area. It's on the middle of her back

I'm unable to take phone calls right now. Thank you for the picture, it does help. Clean the area with warm water, dry it thoroughly and then apply a triple antibiotic ointment such as neosporin. You can do that 3 times daily. If she tries to lick the ointment off then distract her with a meal or a walk. The ointment won't hurt her if she does lick it off. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think it is?

It looks like it is possibly a papilloma which is kind of like a wart in human beings. Sometimes they become scabbed or infected. If your vet thinks it looks suspicious then a biopsy or removal might be recommended.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks again so much!!

You're welcome. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!

:)