Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Dr. Our Miniture Schnauzer is acting a little strange her

Customer Question

Dr. Michael Our Miniture Schnauzer is acting a little strange her upper lips are swollen and she is panting some not real bad. She keeps moving from one spot to another and licking her foot are lower leg. I think she must have gotten strung by a wasp, not sure. I have seen very many snakes around our home at all but I guess it is possible. What should I do for her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you're describing a delayed hypersensitivity reaction and the swelling represents angioedema. This can arise after an envenomation by flying insect or spider, ingestion of a food or drug, parasiticide, vaccination, environmental allergens, environmental variables such as humidity, temperature and various stressors. Her licking heir limb is the clue that she was envenomated. What kind of snakes - crotalid (rattlers) or elapids (coral snakes) - are possible, please? If a snake is likely, treatment is very different than a reaction to all the other things I mentioned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it was a snake. If anything some type of spider, but more than likely a wasp or bee. We Live in south MS but we hardly ever see a snake around our place.

That's good to hear. Administering an over the counter antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at a dose of 1-2 mg/lb (maximum of 50 mg at any one time) and repeated in 8-12 hours if necessary should be helpful. If you happen to have prednisone at home, that steroid will be even more effective in normalizing her. The dose would be 0.5 mg/lb once. Please let me know if you have prednisone at home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we don't have any. But I will keep an eye on her and take her to Vet early in the morning to have her checked out. She is laying down now and seems to be doing better. The swelling is going down in her lips also. Thanks for your help

That's even better to hear. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?