Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My american bulldog is bleeding from s penius. Dripping

Customer Question

My american bulldog is bleeding from his penius. Dripping
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will wait for your answer

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, this situation may be difficult for you to handle on a home remedy basis but here is what I think.

1. First thing to do is to make sure the bleeding is not from a small wound on the penis itself. Male dogs can damage their penises through trauma when they become excited and try and mount inanimate objects etc. but this can also occur for other reasons. The penis is a very vascular organ and small wounds on the tip or shaft which can be difficult to see can cause a lot of bleeding. So I would examine the external penis carefully by rolling back the foreskin, these small wounds are rarely serious and you may be able to handle it by cleaning the area and applying the likes of Neosporin twice a day.

2. If it is clear that the above is not the case and the bleeding is coming from the urinary tract I would then consider infections and put the dog on a broad acting antibiotic for a week and see if that resolves the issue. If it does not then I would try a second course of a different antibiotic. { This is assuming the problem is a urinary tract infection or prostatitis }

3. If the antibiotics failed I would have the dog in for the day and x-ray the bladder { pneumocystogram } the way I could check for other diseases such as stones in the bladder, bladder cancer or prostatic disease. If there was nothing obvious I would take a urine sample via a sterile catheter and send it away for culture and analysis.

The thing to do with these cases is to work through them methodically but try a common sense measure first, hopefully Chevy has something very minor but be aware that more serious diagnosis is possible with this symptom.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much your reply. It was very helpful and informative.

No problem very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Chevy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his bleeding issues ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chevy is OK. We did find a stretch on his penius and put Neosporan on it. Now to keep him from Licking it, it will probably be OK. Thank you again for your help and we will be using your services again if needed.

Thanks for the update, hope this was just something simple and that things resolve for him ...

Regards,

Dr Scott