Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog takes Sentinel spectrum, he weighs 16 pounds, we have

Customer Question

My dog takes Sentinel spectrum, he weighs 16 pounds, we have noticed some fleas and bathed him in flea shampoo, my husband used some simple solution containing g peppermint oil and clove extract,, he is 6 years old, always been healthy. Yesterday he became unable to stand up on back legs, jump up on the sofa or even in the car, he is eating and drinking, urinating and stooping as normal, does not appear to be in any pain. What could be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Canine Health. Please Get Harley in a Bath and Wash thoroughly with Blue Dawn Dish Soap. Essential Oils are toxic to pets and can cause Some serious neurological effects as well as breathing problems. There are many cases documented on this issue. The Blue Dawn should cut through the oils and get what is still left on him off. He will need to see a Vet asap for Supportive Care and detoxing. The first step is to get the oils off him. Let the Vet know you used essential oils and you suspect this is the cause of what you are seeing. This is one story about the problems using these oils: http://pocketpause.com/warning-essential-oils-dangerous-for-pets-natural-flea-prevention-may-do-more-harm/

When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had already read this article online and he doesn't have any breathing problems, that's why I wanted to ask if these symptoms could also be from that. So I will still need to take him to his vet and have lab drawn and no telling what else which is what I was trying to avoid, if this turns out to be the problem, I appreciate your input, but what if it doesn't , r these actual symptoms from being over exposed to these types of flea and tick killers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I reread your response and saw the part about the neurological problems, what does detoxing entail on him.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The Vet will start IV fluids to get the blood and kidneys working to flush the toxins out of the system and may give some medication to lessen any other issues that may be occurring. The first step is bathing the dog to get rid of any residual traces of the oils on the skin and in the fur. We see this quite often with pets. The supportive care should help. We usually see neurological issues more in Cats but it can effect dogs as well. Some are more sensitive than others. Without blood work and an Exam, I cannot give you a definite diagnosis, in fact nobody can. I am speculating as I have seen this before. This also could be a disc issue, but you did not mention this happened after exercise or that something may have happened for a disc issue to ocur.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?
Jav917