Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 6 year old Welsh Terrier who has stopped eating

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old Welsh Terrier who has stopped eating very much food the last 4-5 days, has just started throwing up bright yellow fluid with some red streaks, and I think has had some diarrhea. (We have another dog, so it is hard to tell.) She (Roxie) has a lot of allergies, and just recently had her lyme vaccine. She has been basically healthy other than the allergies, but her sister died from a liver shunt problem. So, I'm worried. Any ideas what could be going on?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Her symptoms do sound worrisome at this point. The problem is that there can literally be dozens of things that can cause her symptoms. It could be something she ate, a toxin ingestion, pancreatitis, liver problems, kidney problems, a GI foreign body, severe inflammatory bowel disease, intestinal parasites or even cancer. It would be very difficult to determine the cause and the right course of treatment without running some tests. The fact that this has been going on for 4-5 days really concerns me at this point. The red streaks are most likely blood. While it could just be from vomiting often, there could be more serious issues like a stomach ulcer or some other bleeding lesion in the stomach. At this point, I would highly recommend getting her to your vet for some blood work, fecal exam and potential x-rays of the abdomen. Hopefully, it is just a bacterial or viral infection in the GI tract, but there is potentially something more serious here. They may need to get her on fluid therapy for dehydration, medications to protect the stomach, antibiotics and medications to stop vomiting; at the very least. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.