Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  Mixed animal veterinarian
64065035

I have an old dog that is in a lot of pain from arthritis I

Customer Question

I have an old dog that is in a lot of pain from arthritis I would really like to put her down at home because 1. I'd rather her die at home and 2. She is too big for me to handle, I can't pick her up to put in car. 3. I flat out don't have the money. I can't shoot her. Is there anything that I can use to put her to sleep at home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Matt. I'm very sorry to hear your dog is in so much pain. Unfortunately there is not a humane way to euthanize a dog at home on your own. I wish I had an easy solution for you, but anyone who suggests otherwise may be putting you in a situation where you end up making things worse for her. We have many clients in my practice that want to have their dogs euthanized at home and/or aren't able to transport them to the clinic. In those cases we often go out to the client's home to take care of them there. If you speak with a local veterinarian they may be willing to come to your home to see her.