Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Lab mix swollen up in face, chest and legs. Has lost weight

Customer Question

Lab mix swollen up in face, chest and legs. Has lost weight so his bones show on his body breathing is labored has been on steroids, medicine for breathing and checked for cancer and did blood work everything negative he is not on any medication for about 4 weeks and the swelling comes and goes but he never is back to normal? Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a copy of Duke's latest test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.

His swollen face, chest, and legs suggests dependent edema which usually arises secondary to right-sided heart, liver, or kidney failure as well as certain gastrointestinal disorders. A poorly functioning liver can't produce enough albumin, poorly functioning kidneys might be losing too much albumin through the urine, and albumin can also be lost through the gastrointestinal tract. A normal serum albumin level is necessary to keep fluid inside vessels and away from subcutaneous tissues and body cavities.

Please respond with the additional information I requested and with further question or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duke. How is everything going?