jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

I adopted a fem. gol.ret. approx. 3 yrs. old .The food at

Customer Question

I adopted a fem. gol.ret. approx. 3 yrs. old .The food at the shelter did not have beef, chicken, as first ingred. It was listed 4-5th. I have always had goldens & have fed them Diamond brand that has chicken & br. rice, beef, lamb. They all ate it . It was a dry kibble & it did not give them any digestive or bowel problems.I have tried over 6 brands, trying even salmon, venison,She will eat treats & human food-I resorted to oatmeal! But when it comes to dog food she'll eat it if she hasn't eaten in like 2 days & I know she's hungury. Any suggestions- I don't want to feed her canned food. All of my past dogs have lived long , healthy lives. I want the same for this one but this is a challenge. A professional opinion would be very welcomed. Thank you for your time & recommendation. Jan
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs can be picky. It could be she just prefers the taste of the food she was getting at the shelter or she might not have been eating properly there either. If a dog thinkgs you will give them human food if they don't eat, they will not eat until it is given. There are a few ways to combat this.

One is that you can mix a small amount of human food in with the kibble (hard food) to get them eating. If the dog likes canned food, you might mix a third of a can in with the kibble and mix well so there is small amount of soft food on each piece of kibble. You would do the same if adding human food. Each day gradually reduce the amount of additive until it is all kibble.

A second option is to get nutrical paste. It is a nutritional supplement that can help ensure your dog gets the nutrients she requires. Put her food down for 15 minutes at preset times during the day. A large dog should be fed twice a day. If she eats, then give her a tasty treat and calm praise. If she doesn't take up the food and give her nutrical so she doesn't suffer nutritionally. It won't fill her up. Do not give her any treats or other foods on days she doesn't eat. After a few days she should realize that you are not going to cave in and feed her anything different and start eating.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
jadedangel57