Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Today noticed my lab present this awkward forward head/neck

Customer Question

today noticed my lab present this awkward forward head/neck stretch. several times.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Chloe has suffered an injury to a disc in her neck. This is very common in older labs because of their conformation. Since Chloe does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this odd behavior. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Chloe is eating well now, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Chloe to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. she has never exhibited this before. she is not a very active dog, jumping/running, due to early dx of PDA with plug. growth stunted at 55 lbs. possibly stiffness/early DJD,? Thanks.

Yes, it could be stiffness or DJD...aspirin will really help sweet Chloe....Good luck!