Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Ever since my Shih tzu was groomed, she has tried to lick

Customer Question

Ever since my Shih tzu was groomed, she has tried to lick her hind quarters. She can be sound asleep and she will jump up and spin around and start licking. There is no signs of flees
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It could be that sweet Lucy is allergic to the shampoo or something used by the groomers and this is causing some irritation and this licking at her hind end. For this , give Lucy Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for a few days. If this has not been effective to stop this, then have your vet examine Lucy since she may have impacted anal glands which are common in some dogs or the groomer may have attempted to express these glands causing some irritation which a cortisone creme will resolve quickly.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta