Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cocker spaniel who is 6 years old has been battling

Customer Question

Hello, My cocker spaniel who is 6 years old has been battling diarrhea for 5 months now, numerous trips to my vet, 2 rounds of antibiotics, round of prednisone, hypo allergenic diet, soft and hard food and a diet change 3 times. I have also with held food for 48 hours, boiled ground meat and brown rice, boiled chicken and brown rice and nothing has helped. At a loss of where to go from here.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I understand your frustration at this time. When presumptive worming has been performed, diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests performed, hypoallergenic food trials performed, and presumptive therapy with antibiotics and corticosteroids performed - all to no avail - there's little left to do but scope and biopsy Dustie's gastrointestinal tract looking to our pathologist to make a histological diagnosis. We're mainly looking for inflammatory bowel disease, lymphangectasia, and neoplasia - disorders that are poorly reflected in a complete blood count and serum biochemistries. Having an abdominal ultrasound performed prior to such invasive testing should be considered. Ultrasound is quite sensitive in detecting changes in the gastrointestinal walls suggestive of those disorders I mentioned above.

Can you upload a copy of Dustie's most recent test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.