Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog is on Vetmedin, benazapril, and lasix. I need to take

Customer Question

My dog is on Vetmedin, benazapril, and lasix. I need to take him off of the Vetmedin, at least, for financial reasons. Can you give me advice on weaning him off Vetmedin, and perhaps keeping him on the less expensive drugs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Rocco. Medications can definitely be expensive when they are on them for life. They can add up especially when the patient is a bigger one. The Vetmedin is a drug that is one of the more expensive ones when it is compared to the other heart medications like the Benazapril and the Lasix. I'm going to be very honest here and say that some options I would have before taking him off the Vetmedin are:

1) Ask your vet to see if they can help on the price as it financially is straining your budget. Some can adjust their prices some. If they can't, they can't. But, maybe they can and will to help keep him on the medication. The reason is that I would be concerned that if he was taken off the medication, his situation could deteriorate. This medication is a part of the overall therapy to help his heart function as best as it can. There really isn't any other medication that can replace it.

2) If your vet can't help with the price, and this is no fault of theirs, then you could ask for a script to be written to get the medication from an online site like 1800Petmeds. Here is a link to the actual page with the medication so you can compare the price.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Vetmedin-prod10980.html?q=vetmedin

Overall, I would be very against taking him off the meds as the chance of him not doing well is definitely there. Is he doing well because of them and changing that upsets the cart. Please let me know what questions this has created. I want to help as much as I can.