Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

MY AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD HAS MAGGOTS IN HER VOMIT. PLEASE TELL

Customer Question

MY AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD HAS MAGGOTS IN HER VOMIT. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO. SHE IS LISTLESS AND IS SLEEPING ALOT. SHE IS 8 YRS OLD
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Maggots are an external problem, which means they only live outside the body, not inside. So, finding them in the vomit means either she ate something that was infested and is now causing digestive tract upset. Or, she has a sore somewhere on her body she has been licking which is infested with maggots.

The first step at home is to do a good once-over to look for a sore, especially examine her hind end around her anus and tail base and her underside. If you find an infested sore, then you need to take her now to be seen on emergency. Your vet needs to clean this up and evaluate the extent of the damage caused by the maggots. And, then do some testing to determine why she allowed them to infest a wound to begin with. Most dogs have to be sick to get infested because they are beyond caring that flies land on them and lay eggs. Usually we see this in older dogs or dogs with debilitating problems.

If no external wounds are found, then she has eaten something that was infested. We may not be able to guess what she ate, but if she is this ill (listless, vomiting), she needs to be seen. We need to determine if this is something that can wait until your veterinarian opens this morning or if you need to proceed to your closest emergency clinic. Indications this is an emergency: 1) profusely vomiting or having profuse diarrhea especially if bloody, or 2) her gums are dry or sticky/tacky which indicates significant dehydration or they are discolored yellow, pale/white or purple/ash, or 3)she has any difficulty breathing, or 4)she is worsening with her lethargy or 4) she has a fever higher than 103F, or 5)any neurological signs (wobbly, cannot coordinate her legs, paralysis, seizures, etc)

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.