Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Molly part corgie has two puncher wonds on hefront paw she

Customer Question

Molly part corgie has two puncher wonds on hefront paw she is limping and tis is getting worse.
Limping first obserrved bout 4 pm now 7.30pm
Her weigt is 18.2 Kg
I am in Cairns N Qld
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

If this is truly a snake bite and it is on a paw, then puncture wounds indicate a viper or a snake with fangs (non-venemous snakes do not have fangs), and you should start to notice profound swelling starts immediately. And, she is remarkably painful. This is a medical emergency and I must recommend you proceed to your closest emergency clinic now for treatment. This is not a problem you should keep her at home and monitor. The key to indicate a snake bite is the swelling (it is very impressive and fast), and the high level of pain. Depending on the snake, this type of bite can be potentially life-threatening unless treated early.

However, if there is no swelling, but only the puncture wounds, then this is probably not a snake bite. Instead, perhaps something else bit her or she had a penetrating injury of some variety. This still needs to be seen by your veterinarian for treatment, but can wait until your veterinarian opens this morning. This will need to be examined to try to determine the type of injury and the most important part of therapy is to start oral antibiotics and pain relief medication. There is no over-the-counter pain relief I can recommend since most are not safe for dogs (cannot use ibuprofen, acetaminophen or naproxen) and aspirin is such a weak pain relief which potentially reacts to most medications your vet might prescribe, and there is a risk of stomach ulceration with it. So, I must recommend have her seen as soon as possible.

Again, if no swelling and you elect to wait until your vet opens to have her seen right away, if you think you can clean the area safely (without getting bitten) then you may do so with diluted beta dine (or iodine) or hydrogen peroxide. If she is super painful, then please leave this alone and have your veterinarian do this.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.