Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate two chocolate chip cookies that were very old and

Customer Question

My dog ate two chocolate chip weed cookies that were very old and I didn't realize I still had from January! He had explosive diahrea and seemed to have seized, after running around and twitching periodically. Now he's laying on my kitchen floor, semi dry nose nose, resting but breathing regularly. I'm very nervous what can I do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A written reply would be best thank you.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. I know you are very concerned about your dog but things may not be so bad, you see marijuana is not that poisonous to dogs, in fact it takes about 1.5 grams of marijuana per pound of body weight to cause death. I would very much doubt if Lucky got anywhere near that amount from two cookies.

2. So from the above dose rate info I can tell you that deaths from marijuana poisoning in dogs are not common, but adverse symptoms such as animals becoming sleepy, vomiting, uncoordinated and having hallucinations or seizures are common, it is surprising how often dogs get access to these drugs.

3. While there are no guarantees, in my experience the vast majority of dogs exposed to marijuana fully recover within 24 hours without any treatment, just general rest and support at home. However some dogs which have ingested quite a lot would experience very bad symptoms and require hospitalisation, and intensive care with IV fluids etc.

4. My advice is that if you see any more serious symptoms developing or if Lucky appears to be deteriorating in any way then you should take your dog to an ER vet as soon as possible.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be signs of a serious symptom? Or deterioration?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** time, so much.

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ...

I would be concerned to be seeing increasing marked lethargy and inccordination, or any form of seizure, however if he is laying resting at present and is aware of you and his surroundings then this would be very encouraging. In any case I should available for you online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just got up and walked around, he was very uncoordinated but able to correct himself and was aware of my brother myself and his girlfriend. Even standing on his hind legs. His coordination has gotten better from what my brother says, and his breathing stronger. No sign of seizure.

Actually that all sounds very encouraging, particularly if your Brother thinks he is seeing some improvement, this may mean your dog is over the worst.

But keep a good eye on him anyway ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had the shakes just now and was breathing a little more rapidly, but deep full breaths during. It stopped and he's back to laying and resting now. I'm not sure if that's a seizure or not?

With this sort of toxicity you may see some muscle twitching and shakes this will occur at even quite low levels of ingestion and is not usually in itself a very serious symptom.

On the other hand If your dog is having a seizure you will not be in any doubt as this will be like a full blown dramatic epileptic fit in a person ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucky is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cookies.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Scott,
Lucky is doing better ! He's still a little off but walking around coordinated for the most part. Hasn't eaten or drank though, we keep giving him ice chips.

Great news! Given the time scale he should be well past the worst and more than likely be back to his normal self 24 hours from now.

Well done ...

Dr Scott

OK it's very late in my part of the world, I am going to turn in now ...

Will check back in with you tomorrow.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Back online this morning.

How is Lucy? Continued improvement I hope ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to update me on Lucky's progress ...

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?