Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a 16 year old Corgie who is incontinent and has Ben

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old Corgie who is incontinent and has Ben taking Proin. On 9/2915 our vet added Diethylstibestrol Chew (0.25 mg)' once a day and then every other day beginning 3 days ago. The last dose was this AM.
I BELEIVE she has just had a seizure: vomiting her dinner, and howling, a terrible sound. She has been pacing for the last 30 min, but that is subsiding some what.
What should I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New medicine was added 9/2, not 9/2915
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

The DES chew and the Proin would not have caused the seizure. It does sound like a seizure, and the pacing is called a post-ictal stage. It can last from 30mins to 12 hours after a seizure. There is no treatment necessary for this one seizure. If she has 3 seizures within a 24 hour period, then she will need to be seen by a veterinarian to give medication and observation. I would get in to see your vet tomorrow to have blood work run and consider taking some x-rays to look for the cause of this seizure episode. Unfortunately, the majority of these episodes at this age are caused by cancer. I am so sorry you are having to go though this with Ellie... please let me know if you have further questions.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tahnk you so much
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome!