Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

At least a few hours ago, our dog threw up and then ate the

Customer Question

At least a few hours ago, our dog threw up and then ate the vomit. I assume this as I came home and smelled it and saw bits of the remains. He seemed fine. I emailed our dog walker who said he ate a lot of branches and grass today. He has just thrown up
again and ate it before we could clean it up. He has been on prednisone for some extreme allergies. A few weeks ago,he threw up violently coinciding with the initial prednisone treatment. We stopped assuming it was because of the medication. After a few weeks
without relief, the vet suggested we try prednisone again thinking the vomiting was just a coincidence. We have had him on it for eleven days. It has significantly helped his symptoms and seemed to have to adverse reactions. His dose has been reduced and I
am hoping he is not having a reaction. Do you think he needs to be brought to the emergency vet or should we make sure he doesn't eat for 12 hours? Should we continue giving him medication?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our dog has just thrown up a significant amount again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am heading to bed soon and wondering if I should give him his dose of prednisone tonight. I usually feed it to him on a full stomach.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. I just got online for the evening and have received your question - I'm working on a response, which will take me a few minutes to type out. Thanks for your patience!!

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks. He has just thrown up some bile as well.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

When I see young dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.

As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet.

A dose of pepcid (famoitidne) 0.25mg per pound of weight can also help settle tummy troubles, especially if they are related to steroid (like prednisone) administration. Pred can sometime cause stomach ulcers that can lead to nausea and vomiting. It also sounds like Darby may be experiencing one of the other common side effects of steroids - which is excess hunger. Some dogs will eat anything in sight, including inanimate objects like sticks and leaves, when they are on prednisone. It's a very powerful drug and can have amazingly great effect on conditions like allergies, but sometimes the side effects are worse than the thing you were treating in the first place!

With the amount of vomiting you're describing here in the past few hours, it's certainly not a bad idea to get him examined by a vet - it would put my mind at ease to know that he's not got something more severe going on than just a regular GI upset (it'd put yours at ease too I'm sure).

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you:)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is contemplating watching and waiting until morning. We last gave him food at 7:15pm and he has thrown up a few times since. I have famoitidne and Sulcrate... should I give him either of those? Should I give him his prednisone dose?The emergency vet is a few hours wait time and I will gladly wait it out there if it is your strong suggestion. He is a lab and tends to eat a lot of things that aren't good for him, so he has thrown up in a similar manner a few times before. We have brought him to the emergency vet each time and he just had to wait it out.Also, he doesn't seem to want to drink water, but he would gladly eat food.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have managed him to drink a little when I scoop water into my hand.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

If you have the pepcid and sucralfate, I would give it according to the label directions and skip tonight's dose of prednisone for now. I would not feed him anything more tonight - give his system time to rest before challenging it again. Just like when we are sick, we wait until we are feeling better before we get back to drinking and eating. If he's healthy otherwise, one evening of missed drinking won't cause him to become significantly dehydrated.

Whether or not to see the ER vet is, unfortunately, a judgement call based on what you're seeing at home. I wish I could tell you over the 'net that it's OK to wait it out - it very well may be OK to wait - I just can't say for sure without actually seeing him :) Red flags for me include intractable vomiting (like it keeps on going for hours on end and doesn't seem to be settling down), pale, yellow, or very very red gums, dry gums, unproductive retching, distended abdomen, and extreme lethargy. Those things would indicate more than just a passing tummy upset and lead me to say that he should be evaluated. Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you:)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I add a chicken bouillon mix to some water to try to help encourage him to eat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that should read add chicken bouillon to water to try help encourage him to DRINK
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

I still would not offer him anything by mouth for the rest of the night so that his system can rest. If he doesn't drink water tomorrow morning but has stopped with the vomiting, you can move on to offer him a very small amount of food. The bouillon is very salty and can further contribute to dehydration and stomach upset, so I'd stick with just water, then food.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he doesn't vomit through the night, can I offer him both food and water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in the morning
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

As I said, I would "test the waters" with a bit of water first. That way if he vomits this up, he's not vomiting up food. If he keeps the water down, or if he doesn't drink it but seems hungry, then I'd offer a very small amount of food.

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent-- thank you. We will keep and eye on him and if his condition worsens we will bring him to the vet.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Fantastic :) I'm also headed to bed myself - I hope that you have a quiet night!

~Dr. Sara