Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is lethargic, not responding, is twitching, urinating

Customer Question

My dog is lethargic, not responding, is twitching, urinating alot, what can I do she is still breathing, I cannot afford a vet visit at this time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear that Nicki is in such poor condition. That is heartbreaking in such a young dog.

Unfortunately as sick as she is you are not equipped to help her at home.

It is important to know why she is the way she is in order to direct treatment.

In a young dog I would be concerned about exposure to toxins and the effects that they can have on her organs and brain, viral infections such as Distemper that affect brain function and mentation, septicemia from a bacterial infection or congenital organ disease such that her organs are failing.

I know that you are very upset and know that she is suffering now.

I understand finances dictate that you cannot seek help for her a private practice veterinary hospital.

If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.

If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state

It may be that she is beyond help if she has been this way for any length of time. It is possible that she has permanent brain damage. If that is the case then humane euthanasia is the kindest way to ease her suffering. Many shelters will do that at no cost for owners in financial trouble.

Please know that you have my sympathies, and if I could suggest something to help her at home I would. Once mental status is affected however trying to give things orally is no longer a safe option. Best of luck to you and your girl.