Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 14 year old dog has vomited 3 times in 45 minutes. She is

Customer Question

my 14 year old dog has vomited 3 times in 45 minutes. She is now digging with her two front paws in her mouth violently and her gums are blood red
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did she have any access to any plants, chemicals, or medications before this started?

Are you seeing anything caught in the mouth (do carefully check under the tongue and the roof of the mouth)?

Can she keep water down?

Are the gums bleeding or just very red?

What did the vomit look like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vomit runny food. gums r very red, wont eat a cracker when offered. has access to outdoors when i am at work. dont know about water. tail is tucked and when she is digging at her mouth her breathing sound. congested.roof of mouth is normal.cant see under tongue.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now my concern here with her digging and gum color as well as the vomiting is that we could have a toxic or caustic ingestion that is burning her mouth, throat, and stomach. If she is outside when you are at work, this can make knowing what she may have gotten into difficult. Therefore, if she is showing signs as severe as you are reporting, I must say that I am worried that we have an emergency situation with Sierra and it'd be ideal to have her seen by your local vet urgently. If she is seen, they can pinpoint the trigger for her signs, start injectable anti-vomiting medication, pain relief, gastroprotectants, +/- IV fluids to limit harm for her.

If that is not possible for any reason, then we need to at least try some supportive care. Of course, we will be limited in what we can do if she is this nauseous (since there is a risk that she won't keen any oral treatments down). Still, you can try rinsing her mouth out thoroughly with cool water just now. We want to try and remove whatever is irritating the inside of her mouth. Afterwards, we can offer some milk if she will have it. This will help neutralize what she may have burning down her stomach and throat. If she can keep that down, then we could also consider using OTC activated charcoal fromm your local pharmacy. We often will administer 1-4 grams per pound of their weight via food or syrginge fed (after being mixed with water or milk) to bind any toxins ingested.

Otherwise, since it sounds like we will need to address that nausea, you can start her on an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use hereinclude Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Liquid versions of these would be best or you can also use Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours) since they will coat the throat too. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, Sierra's signs are very worrying and suggest a possible ingestion of something caustic or toxic. Therefore, it'd be ideal to have her seen urgently by her vet. But any delay and we can try the above to at least reduce her risk of harm.

In this situation, you can find your local ER vet, via http://www.vetlocator.com/or www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.If Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sierra. How is everything going?
nekovet